Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Day NINE of Mudderling Training- Chocolate Banana Smoothie and Fettucine Alfredo

I weighed myself today and the scale read "210.5" pounds. Every little drop, no matter how small, is a victory and elicits a small scream in me. Over the weekend I was discouraged. I felt I'd been trying very hard to keep my portions small and stay away from "bad" foods and it seemed it was in vain. I feel a lot better that I'm back to exercising this week. Truthfully, on my off days I am supposed to be doing some kind of cardio, but I haven't been doing that, and since the circuit training is 3 days a week, I rested on Saturday and Sunday (even though I didn't really because I'm a busybody and was bustling 'round the house). Sometimes I think it's me but when I start off my circuit training the push-ups and jumping jacks get a little easier every time. Yesterday I did six push-ups (on my knees of course). That was incredible. I was really surprised. It was still difficult to get through the rest of the workout. So many times I was doubled over and breathless. But when I finish, I'm so glad.

Today I want to take a walk so I can start doing my cardio on my off days. I will aim for 30 minutes to an hour. It's so hot outside and hard to breathe, that I don't know if I would be able to do a full hour. I will start with 30 and go from there.

On the food side of things, I'm still packing our lunches and it really helps to have things pre-packed and pre-portioned. That way I can't overeat and I go back to whatever it is I'm doing, work, house stuff, etc. Yesterday for dinner we had quesadillas, another dinner idea from 100 Days of Real Food. You take the leftover pork carnitas and spread some pork and a little shredded pepper jack cheese on three tortillas. Fold the tortillas with the filling in half, spray each side with olive oil cooking spray, and cook each side for 2-3 minutes on medium heat until the tortilla is golden brown and crispy. We each had three and ate them with a side of sliced baby bell peppers. It was really good. Simple and very satisfying. (There's no picture because we scarfed them down before I could take a picture :-p)

Sunday I made a big pot of fettuccine. It was also on the free meal plan I got from 100 Days of Real Food. I followed the recipe, but made a few tweaks. One, I double the sauce recipe and that was just enough for 13 oz of pasta. Probably not as healthy, but I love my fettucine alfredo saucy. I will be eating that for lunch the rest of this week. I also added an 8 oz carton of sliced mushrooms to the sauce and then poured that over the pasta. It probably would have worked better to heat the noodles in the sauce. I am sure the starches from the pasta would have thickened the sauce. Oh well. :-p

It's thick--like a Wendy's frosty!! 
This morning I am proud to say I had a no-grain breakfast. Don't get me wrong, I love me my grains, but sometimes they are my go-to so whenever I branch out, I'm proud lol. I originally had wanted to make my FAVORITE peanut butter smoothie that I got from a TurboJam recipe plan, but then realized I had no peanut butter (no idea how that happened!). So then I thought, let's do a chocolate banana smoothie..with frozen bananas!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you are familiar with What's For Dinner Lite, the app, then you know that you can look up recipes on your phone and have one ready to go in mere minutes. I looked up a smoothie recipe and found one to try. It turned out pretty well. I'll add the recipe here, as well as my fav pb/banana smoothie recipe. With both, use frozen bananas. You could even portion out the things you need for the smoothies, freeze in ice cube trays and muffin tins, and then throw into plastic bags to make freezer smoothie pacs. How cool is that!

Chocolate-Banana Smoothie
Serves 2
2 bananas, frozen
2 T cocoa powder
1/2 cup skim milk
3/4 cup vanilla yogurt
2 T honey (or extra to taste)

Blend all ingredients in food processor or blender until smooth. If you have any lumps of banans that just won't blend, drizzle a little more milk into your blender or fp until all is smooth. Yum!

Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie
Serves 2
2 bananas, frozen
4 T peanut butter
2 cups skim milk

Blend until smooth. Thick and scrumptious!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment