Monday, March 31, 2014

Pesto-Stuffed Chicken Breasts and Blog Musings

One day I will surely get it together and be consistent in my blog-writing. It is still my dream to have a popular, well-visited blog, but unfortunately I am not there yet. Recently I have been visiting a lot of blogs in my low-carb eating quest, and have found a few things that bloggers are doing nowadays.

  1. Bloggers are writing their very own recipe e-books. That is so impressive! A lot of bloggers are either selling these, or offering a small, free one upon subscribing to their email lists. 
  2. Bloggers are participating in, or hosting, panels!! Who knew! So innovative. There are low-carb panels, panels on how to bake with coconut flour, and more! A panel will consist of several bloggers sharing their ideas on whatever the topic is. 
  3. Bloggers are asking questions. A lot of the blogs I like to follow have questions at the end of the blog posts. What a great way to get others involved, and to start a conversation. After all, blogging isn't only for the blogger, it's for the reader too. Love that.
  4. While many bloggers follow and tweak recipes, and link from this or that website, many bloggers are true bonafide recipe developers, playing around in the kitchen and experimenting to create their recipes. I think this is what I need the most improvement on. That, improving my p.o.v., and just overall creating my blogging presence. I'm glad that there's room and time to grow!

I am proud to say that I was able to whip up a yummy chicken dish the other night on my own. I'd seen a recipe for stuffed chicken breasts weeks ago and wanted to use up some of what I had in the fridge to make a dish similar to it. I haven't made stuffed chicken breasts in a long while, but making them reminded me that they were one of the first dishes I ever made for my dad and brother once I moved to my dad's house after graduating from college.  Ah, the good old days. :-)

Pesto Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Spinach
Serves 2
2 medium sized chicken breasts, sliced in half  laterally and pounded thin
4 Tbsp pesto (I used Pesto Genovese, Aldi brand, but scratch made pesto would work just as well)
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup red cooking wine (or the real thing if you have it)
1 Tbsp garlic infused olive oil
4 toothpicks


~ Sprinkle each side of the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Spread 1 Tbsp of pesto on each chicken breast. Carefully roll up the chicken breasts beginning with the smaller end. 
~ Heat the oil over medium heat in a medium sized skillet. When shimmering, place chicken breasts in the skillet, seam side down. Cook for 4 minutes. Carefully turn the chicken onto the other side and secure with a toothpick each. Let cook 2 minutes, then add the wine and cover with lid. Let cook 3 additional minutes, or until no more pink can be seen. 
~ Serve over a bed of spinach and drizzle with the pan juices. 



For the Spinach:
1 16 oz bag frozen spinach, cooked according to package directions and drained
1 t extra virgin olive oil
1/2 t minced garlic

Heat oil in a 5-6 quart stockpot or deep skillet on medium heat. When hot add garlic and stir. Add in spinach, sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Stir well until heated. That's it! 


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete