Monday, November 19, 2012

Spring in Fall



Once again I have been MIA. Because a friend let me know she did not know I blogged, I thought, hm, when is the last time I stopped by blogger? A whopping 6 months ago in June! This is unacceptable. So, I will be trying to post a blog or more with some recipes for foods I have cooked in the last few months.

One of the more memorable breakfasts we've had, and one of the more unique ones, was a pea and herb frittata I made when trying to salvage fridge foods. I had some eggs, a half bag of frozen peas, and some milk. I had been adding dried parsley to most of my meals, so I thought it a perfect opportunity to make a springy frittata. Recipe is below. :-)

Pea and Herb Frittata (Serves 4 or 2 generously)
1/2 bag or 8 oz frozen peas, thawed
4 eggs
1 T milk, half and half, or cream
1 T parsley, 1/4 t chervil, 1/4 t sage
Sprinkle salt, sprinkle pepper
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1 T olive oil

In small ovenproof skillet heat oil over medium heat. While oil is heating, beat together eggs, herbs, salt and pepper, cheese, peas, and milk. Immediately pour into skillet. Cook until edges become firm and browned, about 6 or so minutes. While frittata cooks, place an oven rack on the third level from the top and heat broiler. If your broiler has a low and high setting, set on low.  Once broiler is hot, place skillet on rack and let cook until the top is set. This may take a minute or less. Watch the frittata so that it does not burn. You want the top to be golden brown but not charred or blackened. Once the top is set, remove the frittata from the oven and let sit for one minute. Gently run a spatula around the edges of the skillet to loosen the frittata from the skillet. Cut into fourths and serve with a toasted whole wheat English muffin. :-)






No comments:

Post a Comment