Sunday, April 13, 2014

Low-Carb Deep Dish Pizza


This is an Atkins recipe from The New Atkins Made Easy. I love this recipe. I've made it a bunch of times, and I am never disappointed. Pizza, of course, is a blank canvas! The original recipe calls for sausage, but I've changed it up many a time. The technique is mostly the same here, but the toppings are what are different. I also let my crust and toppings bake for longer. I also use my 8x8 glass dish for this, so watch yours carefully if you have a dark pan. This yields 4 slices of pizza. The book says this feeds 4, but I find that hard to believe. In my opinion it feeds two, and is a lighter dinner.

Didn't get to take a pic of it after it came out of the oven. :-(

Crust:
1 cup cooked and riced cauliflower
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (you can use packaged, but fresh tastes better, I've done both!)
1 egg

~ Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Beat egg until yellow and foamy. Add cauliflower and cheese, mix well. 
~ Spread evenly into an 8x8 baking dish or pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Bake 14 minutes or until golden brown. 

Toppings:
1/2 cup low-to-no-sugar added pizza sauce (or make your own with 1/2 cup diced tomatoes, 1 t Italian seasoning, 1/2 t olive oil, sprinkle of sweetener and 1/4 t minced garlic)
2 T chopped jarred bell pepper
1/2 cup sliced zucchini
1 cup baby spinach leaves
1/4 cup chopped onion
4 small slices canadian bacon, diced
2 slices salami, diced
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

~ Sprinkle toppings onto pizza, ending with the cheese. Bake 8 additional minutes, until cheese is melty and about to turn golden brown. Remove pizza from oven and let sit ten minutes. Carefully slice into 4 pieces (serves 2), and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment