Saturday, April 12, 2014

Breakfast Casserole Muffins (Low-Carb)


I love eggs. My mom loves to remind me that as a chubby little baby, I could eat the Gerber eggs from the jar for hours on end. The same is true today. I love eggs cooked any kind of way, and my favorite way to eat them is sunny-side up with a generous sprinkling of black pepper. But heck, if you made me an omelet, or some cheesy scrambled eggs, I'd still be a happy camper! I seriously. Love eggs!! 

This past week for breakfast, I wanted to be sure we had something quick and yummy to grab on the way to work. That's where these guys came in. Having breakfast for the week (or, well, part of it, lol) was a challenge to myself after receiving a blog update from The Lean Green Bean. The mastermind behind the blog, Lindsay, shared her own as well as several other bloggers' Sunday food prep ideas. That got me thinking, and I decided to buckle down once and for all and get some food crackin'! I made the breakfast casserole from The New Atkins Made Easy, but in muffin form! This way the casserole stretched a WHOLE lot more, and, it was fun to eat! The casserole is super customizable, and I usually just make this recipe with whatever I have on hand. Most recently I had canadian bacon and spinach on hand, so that is what I used. 



Breakfast Casserole Muffins 
Serves 4-6

8 eggs
1 t extra virgin olive oil
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup chopped onion
6 small slices canadian bacon, diced
2 cups chopped baby spinach
1 t baking powder
salt and pepper

~ Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray muffin tin with cooking spray.
~ Heat olive oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion and canadian bacon, cook 3-4 minutes till onions are soft and canadian bacon is lightly browned. Remove from heat. 
~ In a large bowl, beat eggs and baking powder til just blended. Fold in cheese, canadian bacon and onion, spinach, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
~ Divide evenly among twelve muffin cups.  
~ Bake 20-25 minutes until golden brown and tops are set.
~ Let cool for several minutes before removing from muffin tin. Use a butter knife or spatula to gently run around the edge of each muffin to remove the egg muffins. Enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment